A Yoga Therapy class to help improve breathing technique
“If we know the art of breathing, we have the strength, courage and wisdom of ten tigers”
We inhale into the world and take a deep exhale out. In between, there are millions of breaths: some deep, some shallow, some focussed, some laboured, some meaningful, some automatic.
When we are upset or distressed, our breathing becomes quick and shallow. Breathing in deeply and slowly instantly calms us down mentally and physically. Breathing is the only part of the autonomic nervous system that we can control, but by learning to control our breathing, we can lower pulse rate, blood pressure and reduce anxiety, inducing relaxation.
The diaphragm is a muscle, and like any muscle needs to be exercised but also individuals need to learn how to consciously relax and engage the diaphragm.
When our breathe is compromised through anxiety, allergies and chronic lung conditions, simply breathing to meet every day needs can be a struggle.
The ‘And Breathe’ class is a gentle yoga therapy class aimed at the following
- All ages, all shapes and all levels of fitness and yoga experience
- Individuals who feel anxious or low in mood or are experiencing a challenging time
- Individuals with chronic breathing problems, for example Asthma or COPD
- Individuals who wish to improve their breathing technique for increased energy and vitality
In each hour long session (mostly seated on a chair) you will:
- Learn about how the thoracic muscles and diaphragm work
- Learn how breathing can reduce anxious feelings and improve your mood
- Gentle stretches to exercise the chest and increase expansion
- Learn how to relax the diaphragm with a controlled slow exhale
- Learn how to breathe deeply with a controlled slow contraction of the diaphragm
- Relaxation to support your nervous system
- Learn breathing techniques to support your breathing during exacerbations of your condition